There are currently two problem-solving approaches, which are used in practice:
- For users with average linguistic and cognitive skills it is appropriate to use Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking to overcome the motor issues for the navigation of computers and to test them for the purpose of dictation. A concrete example is the student of commercial highschool, who got physically completely paralyzed after a heavy car accident but which linguistic and cognitive skills haven't shown a deficit. Today, he is able to continue school using Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking and most likely get the graduation.
- People with linguistic and possibly even cognitive disabilities can use the application package "basic autonomy" from the open-source speech recognition software simon for the navigation of computers. Simon only works with speech of the affected person via modelling of their own speech models.
Download simon: simon on sourceforge.net
- Conscious articulation of several words of sound constellations
- Conscious differentiation of the numbers 0 to 9
- no technical knowledge required